Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Road to: Giving Back! Give Kids a Smile!

One thing I love to do is give back to my community. As a student I do not have as many opportunities as I would like, in fact my options are VERY limited! So when opportunity comes along, I take it! This Saturday I had the wonderful opportunity to volunteer through Henry Schein's Give Kids a Smile.


Just a little about Give Kids a Smile: In many areas, even those with mid to high income, there are underserved children going without dental treatment. GKAS was launched in 2003 for this specific need. What was initially a one day event in February has grown to local and national events year round! Dentists and other team members volunteer their time and services to provide screenings, treatments and education to children throughout the United States. Below you can see me placing sealants with my assistant on one of the children who showed up following our cleaning.


Together we provided free dental treatment to over 150 children in our area on Saturday. It was amazing to help enhance the oral health of needy children, and also very eye-opening to how many people lack the knowledge of not only how to care for their teeth (and their children's) but the importance of it as well. Below is a picture of all the members of my class who showed up to help! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment